The Mole

Zeebrugge stands at the end of the canal connecting Bruges with the North Sea 

The canal was completed in 1908 with lock gates at the Zeebrugge end

The Mole (a harbour wall with warehouses and a quay) was built to create a harbour around the canal entrance

 

The Mole and its warehouse buildings were connected to the mainland by a viaduct

The viaduct carried a railway track and the electricity supply to the Mole

A light house was constructed at the far end of the harbour wall